The Gamer Community Spotlight is a new feature for GXP Blog, and what better person to start with than the great retro gamer known as RETR0JOE!
RETR0JOE lives, eats and breathes retro video games. If it was up to him, all games would be 16-bit and in 2D! Since an early age he has been playing games and he wanted to share his experiences with the world, so he started a twitter account. He now spends most of his time speaking to the retro gaming community and running a few websites such as RetroRebound.
So, let’s get started with the questions:
1. When did you start gaming?
I was very young when I started playing video games. The earliest memory I have was playing on our Acorn Electron with my mum and on my mates Commodore 64 playing postman pat.
2. What was the first game you ever played and on what platform?
The first games I ever played were Buffalo Bill and 3D Tank Zone on the Acorn Electron.
3. Do you have any rare or special games/consoles in your collection?
My favourites are Resident Evil 2 for the N64 and a Master System Mk1 that has never been played before, complete in its box.
4. What do you feel is your biggest achievement in gaming?
Hmm. Probably making my own gaming website (Retro Rebound) and getting a bit of a gamer following on twitter.
5. What are your top 5 (or 10) games of all time?
Doom is my number 1! The next 9 are changing all the time and are in no particular order: Unreal, Half-Life 2, Metal Gear Solid, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Flashback, Broken Sword 1 and 2, Beneath a Steel Sky, the Space Quest series and Hitman 1. (I could have a top ten of every genre!).
6. If you could pick a game to be remade in HD (or a new sequel), what would it be and why?
Unreal. When I first played it I was blown away! It would be awesome in HD.
7. If you could be any video game character, who would it be and why?
I would be Roger Wilco from Space Quest. Space and time travel have always been appealing to me.